Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Who cooks all those manly meats?

I was going through some of my notes last night and happened upon one of my favorite customers. She was a well dressed, fairly attractive, middle aged business woman who dined at the chef's counter one evening. The chef's counter is a diner style counter that curves around the end of our open kitchen, allowing guests to view the excitement of the grills while they munch on their steaks and other such treaties. This particular woman and I established a nice rapport, discussing different foods and wines we enjoy. We made our way through the normal small talk over the course of the meal, hitting on the weather and Chicago landmarks among other topics. Near the end of the meal, she waved me over the counter and asked me, "Michael, are any of these men the chef?" She was gesturing to a pack of frantic line cooks sweating over the enormous grills, and drinking sprite from pitchers. "Oh no ma'm," I explained, "these men are the cooks. They prepare all the dishes but the chefs are the men in white coats, running the line from the other side." "Well, are any of these cooks Brazilian? Do you have any great Brazilian men to prepare the meat?" Hold up. This is probably where I should have excused myself from the conversation under the guise of another table in need, but I couldn't help myself and I plowed forward. "Well it's hard to say. Our kitchen staff is from all over Mexico and Latin America. They represent many different South American countries." "I asked because you know how those Brazilians love their meat. They grill all of those manly meats down there you know. Like at that Fogo de Chao restaurant - all of those manly meats being prepared by those Brazilian chefs." At this point I was choking it was so difficult not to giggle over this woman's constant repetition of the phrase "manly meats." "Oh yes, Brazilian steak houses are certainly well known," I replied, "but I don't know if any of these cooks are Brazilian." "Well I'll have to ask them. I'll have to ask these manly grillers where they learned to cook meat. They must really love it you know, to be slaving over these hot grills, cooking all of these meats, these manly meats." Seriously? I mean, seriously? Was that woman really saying those things to me, and how could she possibly think it's okay to say such strange, oddly graphic things to the waiter? I couldn't hold in my laughter any more and blurted out, "gross." "Excuse me," she replied. "I'm sorry ma'm, but could you please stop saying manly meats so much to me. It's really the most comical way you could describe the meat." Thankfully, she also began to laugh and we both agreed it was a very silly conversation we were having. I excused myself to fetch a refill for another table and thanked the woman for her conversation and for the unintended giggles as well. People say the most outrageous things to their waiters. It's nice though, every shift is different.